||Temporary Changes to LEAP for 2023
The Ontario Energy Board's Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) provides financial assistance for individuals experiencing difficulty paying their current arrears. Program runs from Jan 2-Dec 31 each year (unless funds are depleted before Dec 31). Maximum grant is $500 per household per year ($600 if home is heated electrically). Grant is credited directly towards the heating bill. To access LEAP individuals should contact the access agency in their area. Agency may be able to arrange a hold on a disconnection notice while a case is being reviewed. All decisions can be appealed.
- LEAP applicants no longer need to be in threat of disconnection or have been disconnected, but they still need to be in arrears and at or below the income thresholds
- The limitation on receiving LEAP only once per year is waived, but the total amount received by a household may not exceed the maximum grant amount for the year
To determine who to call in your area, find the company that you receive your heating from in the lists below:
- Alectra (formerly Power Stream Inc) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
- Elexicon Energy Inc (formerly Veridian Connections Inc) (Gravenhurst) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
- EPCOR (formerly COLLUS Power Corporation) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
- ERTH Power Corporation Contact Huron County, Pathways
- Festival Hydro Inc (Perth and Huron Counties) Contact City of Stratford Social Services Department - Housing Stability Programs
- Hydro One Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
- Inn Power (formerly Innisfil Hydro) Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka-Leap Program
- Lakefront Utilities Inc Contact The Help Centre of Northumberland
- Lakeland Power Distribution Contact District Municipality of Muskoka
- New Market-Tay Power Distribution Contact The Salvation Army, Northridge Community Church
- Wasaga Distribution Inc Contact Empower Simcoe, Regional Housing Support Services South Georgian Bay
- Wellington North Power Inc Contact 2-1-1 to complete intake for United Way of Bruce Grey. May be put on a waiting list if funds are depleted or limited.
- Westario Power Inc Contact Bruce County Housing (for all Westario customers)
Click here for information about making a complaint to the Ontario Energy Board
- Enbridge Gas Distribution and former Union Gas customers within Ontario Contact United Way Simcoe Muskoka - Leap Program
||VariesDates: Program runs annually Jan 2-Dec 31
||Bruce County ; Grey County ; Haliburton ; Huron County ; Kawartha Lakes ; Muskoka District ; Northumberland County ; Parry Sound District ; Perth County ; Peterborough (County of) ; Simcoe County
||May be available to low-income customers of heating distributors experiencing difficulty paying current arrears. Decision will be based on several factors including long-term viability of the account. Disconnection notice is not required to be eligible.
||Call applicable agency in your area to apply. Pre-screening by telephone before in-person interview.